The 2018 WATL Championship will be the biggest axe throwing tournament and event in the history of the sport. It will be aired live on ESPN3 on December 15th, and subsequently aired on ESPN2. We have debated internally and discussed the best approach to identify how to best select the (at least 3) wildcard spots. Here’s the approach that we found to be the most fair and equitable: we will hold a double elimination tournament for 16 eligible participants on December 15th, starting at 10:00am to determine who will win the 3 wildcard spots and be able to compete in the WATL Championship.
Here are the details on how WATL will conduct registration and the double elimination tournament:
- Open Registration: registration is now CLOSED
- Please fill out the form so we have your full registration details when you arrive.
- Please note:
- i) we will not be able to register new participants on-site
- ii) All registered participants will pay on site in Chicago – the fee for qualifying registration is $100 (USD)
- iii) The top sixteen qualifiers will have an additional $125 fee charged to participate in the bracketed Wild Card Tournament.
- iv) The top three in the Wild Card Tournament will all go on to compete in the Championship
- v) All Open Registration participants will have a guaranteed ticket to the 2018 World Championship viewing on ESPN
- Please note:
- 40 Throws: After completing the on-site registration, participants will be required to throw 40 throws. On every tenth throw, participants may go for the killshot.
- In case we have more than 16 registered participants, the top 16 scores will make it through to the double elimination tournament
- The 40 throws are to be done during these times:
- Friday: December 14th, 5pm-10pm
- Saturday: December 15th, 8:30am – 9:30am
- Please note: due to time constraints faced in having a large production and being on ESPN, no exceptions will be made for the 40 qualifying throws outside of the dedicated time slots
- Tournament: when WATL has ranked the top 16 throwers from the open registration, the double elimination tournament will begin at 10am sharp on December 15th for the wildcard spots
Wildcard participants will potentially be able to wear sponsored apparel in the tournament on the ESPN broadcast but they will need approval ahead of time. If there are any logos or graphics that either conflict with ESPN‘s major sponsors or the contract we have with them then we can’t have those worn at our tournament.