Axe Throwing Distance: Players will throw from the boxed area marked on the floor, 12-15 feet away from the targets. The lines are made from 1” inch thick tape or can be painted on the floor. Each box is 3 feet wide.
- Players must have their lead foot in the boxed area when throwing the axe.
- The other foot (back foot) may be behind and outside the boxed area.
- Players will not be penalized if their back foot is touching any lines in the box.
- A player's lead foot is allowed to touch the front line during the throw but no part of their foot may cross the line.
- If any part of their foot is over the front line at the commencement of their throw or at or after the release of the axe throw, their throw will be counted as a zero.
- If any part of their foot is over the line after the axe is released the throw is valid and counted.
- Players may not step forward, over the line during their axe throw.
- This exception is after the axe has been thrown/released and the player's momentum pushes them forward, past the line.
Here's an example of a valid throw where the foot is before the line when the axe is released but the player steps over the line after the release of the axe: