In 2022, WATL reduced the amount of time between seasons, to end the year earlier, leaving more time for Worlds bid earners to plan and book their trips. As a result, there is a 2 1/2 month gap between the end of the Fall season, and the beginning of the Winter 2023 season.
The league team within WATL came up with an idea to keep throwers engaged in competition through this ‘off-season’, which we have dubbed, the Venue Cup.
The Venue Cup is intentionally designed to be a competition for players that do not earn a 2022 WATC bid.
We strongly encourage WATC bid earners to play, and help the other throwers in their venues train and improve their game!
Venue Cup Overview
- The Venue Cup is a 4-week competition, beginning November 6th, and ending December 4th, 2022
- Each week, the top 3 and bottom 3 scores from each participating venue are averaged, to create a weekly average score for each venue
- Throwers that earned a bid (accepted or otherwise) will not count as a top or bottom 3 player if they are participating
- An ongoing leaderboard will be published, ranking each venue by their weekly average
- After week 3 is completed, the first 3 weeks averages for a venue are averaged again, to create the venues overall average to beat.
- The final week (the 4th) is thrown just like every other week. The top 3 and bottom 3 scores are averaged together and compared to the FIRST 3 weeks’ average.
- The winning venue is the one that BEATS their first 3-week average by the the largest margin on week 4
As you can see, the goal here is to focus on players improving their scores over the 4 week period, creating an even opportunity for throwers of all skill levels to rise to the occasion of the Week 4 competition.
- This is a hatchet league competition only.
- Any league starting the week of November 6th will be counted as participating in this competition. If you want to notify WATL of your venues intent to play, you can register here.
- Venues MUST participate in Week 1 to be registered for this competition
- The minimum number of throwers that can form an official league is the same as regular league play – six (6)
- There is no maximum number of throwers for a league
- Only players that complete 4 or more games will be counted towards the minimum
- In the case that a venue is short players for a single week (sickness, injury, etc) that drops them below 6 participants, for each player they are “missing” they will receive an automatic average score of 52 added to their venue average for the week.
- Venues may run multiple leagues, and players may play in multiple leagues from the same, or other venues, there are no restrictions for this
- If a venue runs multiple leagues – the scores from each league night will be combined to find the top 3 and bottom 3 players overall from that week
- With that comes the possibility that a thrower participating in more than one league at the same venue may have multiple scores in the top or bottom 3 – this is allowed
- **NOTE that after further score modelling is performed, this may be subject to change**
- In the 4th week, at LEAST 80% (rounded up) of all players that have completed 4 or more games in weeks 1-3 MUST participate and log their scores. This is to prevent venues from just putting up their top players to beat their average in the final week. Any venue that does not meet this threshold for participation will be disqualified from winning.
- WATL has engaged third parties to monitor for intentional cheating (hippodroming, sandbagging). Each player’s score will be monitored to ensure it is within a set tolerance based on their scoring history. If any player or venue is found to be intentionally throwing lower scores in an effort to lower their overall average for week 4 will be immediately disqualified.
|Angry Jacks Elkton||985 E Pulaski Hwy||Elkton, MD|
|Angry Jacks Exton||15 E Uwchlan Ave||Exton, PA|
|Angry Jacks Pville||420 bridge st||Phoenixville, PA|
|Angry Jacks||77 Wind creek blvd||Bethlehem, PA|
|House Of Hatchets||489 Bearse’s Way||Hyannis, MA||capecodaxe.com|
|The Hatchetbury||213 NW 8th Avenue||Gainesville, FL||[email protected]|
|Big Dawgs Axe Junkies||331 North Lake Street. Suite A||Madison, OH||(440) 855-7920|
|Crazy Axes||228 Columbia Road||Hanover, MA||[email protected]|
|Adirondack Axe||578 Aviation road||Queensbury, NY||adirondackaxe.com|
|Cascadia Axe Co||5681 Crater Lake Hwy. Ste 4||Medford, OR||cascadiaaxe.com|
|Savage Society axe throwing||1937 Cooper Foster Park road||Amherst, OH||[email protected]|
|HATCHET HANGOUT – Axe Throwing St Pete||2360 Central Ave, Petersburg, FL 33712||Saint Petersburg, FL||hatchethangout.com/st-pete|
|HATCHET HANGOUT – Axe Throwing Clearwater||709 N Myrtle Ave||Clearwater, FL||hatchethangout.com/clearwater|
|Main Street Axe Company||215 S. Wall Avenue||Joplin, MO||[email protected]|
|Asgard Axe and Tap||714 Oak St||Wisconsin Dells, WI||[email protected]|
|Axes&Armor||4005 Raeford rd||Fayetteville, NC||(910) 491-1233|
|Axe Habits Palmetto Bay||9228 SW 156 St.||Miami, FL||[email protected]|
|Real Ax||2920 S MacArthur Blvd||Springfield, IL||reaaxthrowing.com|
|Murfreesboro Axe||211 W Main Street||Murfreesboro, TN||murfreesboroaxe.com/league|
|Lumberjax Urban Ace Throwing||2808 Niles Avenue||Saint Joseph, MI||[email protected]|
|Main Street Axe Company Emporia||616 Commerical Street||Emporia, KS||(620) 778-5291|
|Grand Throw House||361 Lang Blvd||Grand Island, NY||(716) 404-9987|
|Jersey Axe House||52 E Centre Street||Nutley, NJ||jerseyAxeHouse.com|
|Main Street Axe Company||216 S. Broadway||Pittsburg, KS||(620) 266-1685|
|Texas Axe Throwing||23300 i45||Spring, TX||texasaxe.com|
|Section 715 Throwing Co.||3248 Meccca Dr||Plover, WI||[email protected]|
|Big Dawgs Axe Junkies||331 North Lake Street, Suite A||Madison, OH||(440) 855-7920|
|Bighorn Mountain Axe||303 Broadway St. Unit B||Sheridan, WY||(307) 675-6293|
|Valkyrie Axe Throwing||45 E Main St, Suite 108||Chattanooga, TN||(423) 541-7583|
|Jersey Axe House||52 E Centre Street||Nutley, NJ||jerseyaxehouse.com|
|Litchfield County Axe House||437 S Main St||Thomaston, CT||litchfieldcounty[email protected]|
|FlagTagAZ||1801 W Route 66 STE 102||Flagstaff, AZ||flagtagaz.com/venuecup|
|RelAxe Throwing||157 Gay St||Manchester, NH||relaxethrowing.com|
|Rockstar Axe Throwing||3402 Technological Avenue, Suite 148||Orlando, FL||rockstaraxethrowing.com|
|Plaid & Timber Axe Throwing Company||2710 Eastside Park Road, Ste C||Evansville, IN||(812) 402-0390|
|The Lazy Axe||1865 Central Ave||Albany, NY||thelazyaxe.com|
|Raging Smart Axes||401 N. Main Street||Gravois Mills, MO||[email protected]|
|Unleashed Camden||258 Haddock Rd||Kingsland, GA||unleashedcamden.com|
|Ox Indoor Axe Throwing||119 Rhea Lane||Billings, MT||oxthrowingsports.com|
|Hurling Hatchets||12344 Gulf Freeway Suite L||Houston, TX||[email protected]|
|Craft Axe Throwing Downtown Knoxville||119 W Fifth Ave Suite 150||Knoxville, TN||(865) 213-9494|
|TommyHawks Axe House||1631 W. College Street||Springfield, MO||tommyhawks.net|
|The Axe House STL||20 Meremac Valley Plaza Dr||Valley Park, MO||[email protected]|
|Tjs hatchet hangout||1242 SW Pine Island Rd #19||Cape Coral, FL||[email protected]|